English Corner

Small Talk, Spaß, Fragen, hier könnt ihr plaudern, quasseln und tratschen über was ihr wollt

Re: English Corner

Beitragvon Luftmensch » 02.06.2015, 08:56

Yes I did! I love Gillian Flynns books. They are always very dark and mysterious.

I had Gone Girl as an audiobook, which I can recommend with all my heart.
Sharp Objects (her debut novell I think) is very good, too. But Dark Places, another book of hers wasn't that good in my opinion.

Also loved the film! The actress who plays Amy is great, but the other acters were great, too.
Luftmensch

Blog: Blog ansehen (1)

Beitragvon Justin » 03.06.2015, 18:02

Ok, so Gillian Flynn gets but on the "Wish for birthday" list.

How about Bob Shacochis, "The Woman Who Lost Her Soul"? I have no Idee what it's about but in America it was a best-seller and I saw an interview with him and really liked him as a person.
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Justin

Blog: Blog ansehen (15)

Beitragvon Luftmensch » 03.06.2015, 18:53

Sorry, that one I haven't read. But as far as I know, it shouldn't be that good. Not every book, which is a bestseller is also a good book ;)
Of course everyone has a different taste.

Are you looking after some good books?
Luftmensch

Beitragvon Justin » 03.06.2015, 22:20

I'm always looking for good books - especially in English. Today I read Richard Bach's "Illusions" for an Englisch-Book-Club. I've already read it three times but today I just wanted to thumb through it again to refresh my memory and ended up reading the whole book in three hours. It is about a prophet who quits his job and looks for a replacement. It is such a light, wunderfully written book. It you stumble upon it somewhere you should pick it up and give it a read.

From the book:

The apprentice does not yet know that he has met the Massiah and asks what he did before he started flying airplaines.

He says that he did a lot of things such as working on tractors - especially Caterpillar 8000-s and 9000-s.

The apprentice, who is also a mechanic, is impressed and says, that the Cat 9000-s are as big as a house and are so strong, that they could even move a mountian.

The Massiah smiles and says that there are better ways of moving mountains.
Justin

Beitragvon Luftmensch » 04.06.2015, 07:57

Thanks, for your recommendation!
I have to say, that the majority of my books are in english since the original is always better than the translation. Anyway I'm a very picky reader.

What kind of books do you like to read?
If you like thriller or mysterys I would recommend "The Girl in the Train", which is very good.
Luftmensch

Beitragvon unkompliziert » 04.06.2015, 13:38

*flüster*
Weil der Thread neben Spaß auch ein bisschen Training bringen soll:
English with capital E, because it's the "name" of a language.
Plural: y --> ies. exception: if the y is preceded by a vowel (=a, e, i, o, u)

Rule of thumb:
Always put a comma in front of "dass", but never put a comma in front of "that".
No comma if the relative clause is necessary to understand the meaning of the sentence:
" Not every book which is a bestseller is also a good book ;)"
If you put commas in this sentence, you would say that every book is a bestseller.
unkompliziert
NaNoWriMo 2015
NaNoWriMo 2015

Beitragvon Luftmensch » 04.06.2015, 14:52

unkompliziert hat geschrieben:*flüster*
Weil der Thread neben Spaß auch ein bisschen Training bringen soll:
English with capital E, because it's the "name" of a language.
Plural: y --> ies. exception: if the y is preceded by a vowel (=a, e, i, o, u)

wahr :D Allerdings macht mein Handy was es will, wenn ich von dort aus on bin ;)
Das mit dem Komma habe ich nun nicht verstanden :XD:
Luftmensch

Beitragvon Badabumm » 04.06.2015, 21:42

Not every book, which has pages, is also a good book. Every book has pages. You can take this three words in brackets, means the same: Not every book (which has pages) is also a good book. Change "which has pages" into "which is a bestseller" and you want to say: every book is a bestseller.: Not every book (which is a bestseller) is also a good book.
"Und sowieso wird man Dichter nur durch das Mädchen, das man nicht bekommt."
(Søren Kierkegaard)
Badabumm

Blog: Blog ansehen (13)

Beitragvon Justin » 13.06.2015, 02:07

Again wie see how the raised finger kills any form of interesst in conversation.
Justin

Beitragvon unkompliziert » 14.06.2015, 00:39

Maybe there wasn't so much interest to begin with ;)

I have never regarded the SWS as a place where people practised the same mistakes over and over again and would only hear sugar-coated lies. But maybe I was mistaken?

I watched the latest Jurassic Park movie a couple of days ago. Full of action and impressive pictures, but the story and the dialogues where painfully illogic. It was almost fun.

My favourite scene was a woman outrunning a t- Rex in high heels. :D
unkompliziert
NaNoWriMo 2015
NaNoWriMo 2015

Beitragvon Badabumm » 14.06.2015, 02:17

My favourite scene was a woman outrunning a T-Rex in high heels.

Yeah. They were really expensive - she prefers to die than losing her shoes?... ;-)
(Søren Kierkegaard)
Badabumm

Beitragvon Joleen » 14.06.2015, 21:38

unkompliziert hat geschrieben:I have never regarded the SWS as a place where people practised the same mistakes over and over again and would only hear sugar-coated lies. But maybe I was mistaken?

Since we're already talking about movies...

Also those people seem to like their faults. They're also doing it over and over again. Like the second movie of a row is always a little bit worse than the first. The third is okay 'til meaningless and every movie coming after that is just ... stupid.

Or have you ever seen a movie-trilogy where it wasn't like that?
I definitly wanna know, that would change my whole world ;)
Life is the most difficult exam. Many people fail, because they try to copy others, not realizing that everyone has a different question paper.
Straight Roads do not make skillful drivers! Paulo Coelho

Die Schreibwerkstatt kommt wieder! Sag mir Bescheid!
Joleen

Blog: Blog ansehen (31)

Beitragvon Lautin » 15.06.2015, 09:16

In my opinion it fully depends on the background of the movies production.

If its based on a successful novel with several books. If one book is one movie, the success of the follow movies are very much related to the success of the content of the book itself. Because of it's plotline.

Best example for me: HP and the prisoner of Azkaban. Any one want to argue that the third book, as well as the movie, exceeded volume 1 and 2 in both cases?

And some movies with endless follow ups are just to milk money. I don't like all those Marvel/DC movies. They are based on series of comics. Hence, they should have been produced as just that. Maybe one big movie as a pilot for it. But really! How many Superman, Batman movies exist and why does it seem like every year needs to be a new one following? Why? Why? why? This is such a negative James Bond cover.

Who will be the next (random name of main character)? Will he be the next successor or will the previous actor hold the position as number one (random name of main character). Or even as the counter part: current Heath Ledger & Leto comparison for the Joker.

Nowadays it seems to be only about the things we can archive with visual effects. Lots of realistic effects, lots of greenscreen and computer animated environments. "Lets just safe money on the plot itself! We'll just cover with a lot of action, sex or dramatic scenes of nonsense."
Lautin

Beitragvon Badabumm » 15.06.2015, 12:35

Joleen hat geschrieben:
unkompliziert hat geschrieben:Or have you ever seen a movie-trilogy where it wasn't like that?
I definitly wanna know, that would change my whole world ;)

I think, Terminator two is the best one of the trilogy. In the Matrix trilogy only the first is called "a good movie", forget two and three... ;-) In Star Wars (the real, old one, IV-VI) the quality is well-mixed, I prefer no. two... (Imperium strikes back)

Badabumm
(Søren Kierkegaard)
Badabumm

Beitragvon SmilingSeth » 15.06.2015, 20:50

I just watch everyone, why should'nt i doesn't watch it ... even if the movie has is flaws, it's not automatically a bad movie, most blockbuster have their flaws, but they are blockbusters, so i don't really care. And for real, if the first one was good, the last one is also probably good.

And really, dafuq, Jurassic Park is full of ilogical shit and random dropping plotholes - it's a fucking Dinos in a funfair movie.
Lautin hat geschrieben:Or even as the counter part: current Heath Ledger & Leto comparison for the Joker.
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/lost-in-arkham-final-finalweb.jpg
It's funny if you comparise the gay-brokeback mountain Ledger with Leto.

Did of one you actually realised that most europeans speak american english, or in the worst case austrian-american english, instead of british-english? It's even more funny, if you record the accent of people who love the shit of english lifestyle and then blame them, for having such awful tongue.
SmilingSeth
Inaktiv

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Schreibwerkstatt-Café