English Corner

Small Talk, Spaß, Fragen, hier könnt ihr plaudern, quasseln und tratschen über was ihr wollt

Re: English Corner

Beitragvon scribere » 16.06.2015, 10:08

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:It's funny if you comparise the gay-brokeback mountain Ledger with Leto.

What do you mean by that?
scribere

Blog: Blog ansehen (80)

Beitragvon unkompliziert » 16.06.2015, 11:47

I've noticed that American and Australian slang expressions are more popular than the British ones.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that just because somebody says "dafug, omg, kinda, awsome" instead of "brilliant" this means they speak American English.

But who would be suprised that a country that is bigger than Europe itself has more influence?

Usually it's foreigners in their teens and twenties who want to be associated with US or Australian culture. So they copy the accent and a couple of words. As long as they enjoy it, I don't mind.

I have to admit: I love movies with good visual effects:
Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Avatar
It's even worse: There are even some actors who I just like looking at, even if they might not be good actors: Emma Watson, David Duchovny
(Well, maybe they are good actors. I don't know much about acting.)

But I agree with the rest of you:
Sometimes the story is so thin that you can't even enjoy the pretty pictures anymore.

I looooooooooove the James Bond movies. I would never say they have great plots.
But I like the mixture of action, comic relief (funny remarks) and exotic people/places.
unkompliziert
NaNoWriMo 2015
NaNoWriMo 2015

Beitragvon SmilingSeth » 16.06.2015, 17:17

Watson is just terrible, if a wasn't such a HP-fanboy tbt i would watch not a single movie with her.
But i liked her performance in "this is the end".
scribere hat geschrieben:
SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:It's funny if you comparise the gay-brokeback mountain Ledger with Leto.

What do you mean by that?

Most people said Ledger would be a bad Joker, well Ledger was still a good actor, even before Joker. But Leto is far away from beeing a good actor.
SmilingSeth
Inaktiv

Beitragvon Joleen » 20.06.2015, 20:43

I have to admit: I love movies with good visual effects:
Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Avatar
It's even worse: There are even some actors who I just like looking at, even if they might not be good actors: Emma Watson, David Duchovny
(Well, maybe they are good actors. I don't know much about acting.)

But I agree with the rest of you:
Sometimes the story is so thin that you can't even enjoy the pretty pictures anymore.

I looooooooooove the James Bond movies. I would never say they have great plots.
But I like the mixture of action, comic relief (funny remarks) and exotic people/places.

Well I can also say, I love genuis visual effects. I never wanted to watch Avatar, because I was afraid it would be just bad. So my family really talked me into this and once I watched it... it was just amazing! I also loved the plot of it.
Jurassic Park was also pretty nice. If you think about it, not everything was made by visual effects.

For James Bond - I only saw one movie (I think the latest?), but it was very well made ^^.
Maybe the plot is going out of hands because they made so many movies that they don't know any new thing to give the audience...

Anyway, I love movies where there is a little bit of everything. Action, comedy (can also be a lot, but good), deeper nature of the charakters and a story behind all of this. But nowadays these movies are hard to find...
Life is the most difficult exam. Many people fail, because they try to copy others, not realizing that everyone has a different question paper.
Straight Roads do not make skillful drivers! Paulo Coelho

Die Schreibwerkstatt kommt wieder! Sag mir Bescheid!
Joleen

Blog: Blog ansehen (31)

Beitragvon Badabumm » 21.06.2015, 16:32

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:Did of one you actually realised that most europeans speak american english, or in the worst case austrian-american english, instead of british-english? It's even more funny, if you record the accent of people who love the shit of english lifestyle and then blame them, for having such awful tongue.

If you learn English by watching movies or playing games or listening to songs you haven't a choice. Mostly all blockbusters have US English-speaking. Mostly all games have US English-speaking. A lot of songs are in British-English, so you can learn from it.
It's also a political decision: Germany tends towards US Livestyle and thinking. I'm not sure why - Great Britain is our real neighbour.
There are some other points: because US English is a worldwide spoken mishmash language you heard it everywhere and from everyone. It's the most wrong used language to speak over the world.

Badabumm
"Und sowieso wird man Dichter nur durch das Mädchen, das man nicht bekommt."
(Søren Kierkegaard)
Badabumm

Blog: Blog ansehen (13)

Beitragvon Diavolo » 21.06.2015, 17:21

I am the first time in this English Corner. I don't have any idea how it works, sorry. Because in this few pages I was reading, I saw so many mistakes. And nobody talked about this. :?:

Badabumm hat geschrieben: It's the most wrong used language to speak over the world.

But this statement I am interested in and I want to know why?

Perhaps you can explain to me. :oops:
Wie viele Leute schreiben und schreiben und auf dem Papier steht immer nichts!
(Johann Friedrich Freiherr Cotta von Cottendorf)
Diavolo

Beitragvon Badabumm » 21.06.2015, 18:18

Diavolo hat geschrieben:I am the first time in this English Corner. I don't have any idea how it works, sorry. Because in this few pages I was reading, I saw so many mistakes. And nobody talked about this. :?:

Badabumm hat geschrieben: It's the most wrong used language to speak over the world.

But this statement I am interested in and I want to know why?

Perhaps you can explain to me. :oops:

First: I'm angry about mistakes too. Years ago I wanted to write and speak English correctly. That means: learning grammar, vocabulary, tenses, phrases, idioms... Nowadays I prefer to speak that everyone is able to understand me (and what I want to say). I'm not sure this sentences are correct or not and in a "good" English. I don't care about it. If I use a wrong tense - who cares? An English native speaker is very tolerant towards my mistakes. Maybe he smiles about it. But he/she understands me (sooner or later). That's the important point. Spoken English is a language to speak together (sounds crazy, but that's what I means). You can use a very bad English (and your hands or a pencil), the main point is: Does he understand me what I means? (The phrase "If you know what I means" comes from that...)

In every English-written forum I found on the web they are a lot of mistakes, like in a German forum the native German writers don't care about German mistakes (unfortunally!). I think they are lazy to check twice. So I can't learn English from that, only from books, articles, newspapers or movies, which are (hopefully) in a correct English.

Second: Because this happens in the whole world, nobody speaks a correct English. The people need English to speak for being international, but hardly anyone learns it for ten years at school. There are a lot af languages which make the peoples mouth how to speak. It's all "Pidgin"-English. They use it without knowing all the rules.

Third: My English is "German" English. First I create in my mind what I want to say - of course in German. Then I translate it. I can't change this, because English isn't my mother tongue. I think, most of man do the same. Not all, but most. That's the reason spoken English isn't like native English, it's a mixture of learned skills and thinking how to say something.

Badabumm
(Søren Kierkegaard)
Badabumm

Beitragvon Diavolo » 21.06.2015, 19:31

Hallo badabumm

Your answer was coming really soon. Thank you for your answer :)

I was such bad in school always got the worthiest note. But now I am studying in Australia and I had to learn the language. I am also not perfect, but I don't need hands and feet to let the people know, what I want or need.

About speaking other languages I had the same experiences like you. But I never said it doesn't matter. But it is up to you.

Badabumm hat geschrieben:In every English-written forum I found on the web they are a lot of mistakes, like in a German forum the native German writers don't care about German mistakes (unfortunally!). I think they are lazy to check twice. So I can't learn English from that, only from books, articles, newspapers or movies, which are (hopefully) in a correct English.

Not even Google Translator is good enough. You are right. :)

Badabumm hat geschrieben:It's all "Pidgin"-English.

This expression i don't know. Can you help me :?:

Badabumm hat geschrieben: My English is "German" English. First I create in my mind what I want to say - of course in German. Then I translate it.

This is your problem, but I think you don't have a lot of situations to speak with English speaking peoples. Like me when I was in Europe. The same happened to me to speak French or Italian. Nowadays I only know a few words from this languages and can only say hallo or talking with my hands or feed.
The solution is: You have to think in this language. :)

Now I got it, but you have to try hard more. To think in English. But it is really not easy. I know, but perhaps your next holiday brings you to an English speaking country or you are finding English speaking friends.

I hope, I didn't make too much mistakes in this comment. I wish you good luck and if you need help perhaps I can help you.

Have a good time

Diavolo
Diavolo

Beitragvon Badabumm » 21.06.2015, 20:05

Diavolo hat geschrieben:
Badabumm hat geschrieben:It's all "Pidgin"-English.

This expression i don't know. Can you help me :?:

Google is for everyone... ;-)

Here's from "Longman": "A language which is a mixture of two other languages, which people who do not speak each other's languages well use to talk to each other."

I think it starts in India (colonisation) first.

OK. You live in Australia. You can use the spoken language every day. That's a huge advantage! (I think it's the best and only way to learn a language...). You will get it.. That's why I can't think in English. Every people around me are Germans, they speak German, they write German. I'm a writer too (that's why I'm here), so I have to write a good GERMAN text. If I start to think English, I will be a bad German writer.... It's funny: i know s.o. who has lived in NZL for 50 years. Her German is still good, but she writes and spokes now in an English way (such as S-P-O and all this typical English phases). If I MUST think in a language it will be the best way to learn it.

In German I prefer to build a good text. I like to prepare a good style and to play with words in German. This is I call "trade" (Handwerk). I have to go deeper in the German language to write a good text. Knowing all German tricks. To write a good English text it's the same...

BTW: I think it depends on our gender sometimes. Women are better in speaking, because they use both brain parts.

Bye
Badabumm
(Søren Kierkegaard)
Badabumm

Beitragvon Libelle » 21.06.2015, 20:17

Diavolo hat geschrieben:Now I got it, but you have to try hard more. To think in English. But it is really not easy. I know, but perhaps your next holiday brings you to an English speaking country or you are finding English speaking friends.

I think the key to improving one's language skills is to read (and listen) a lot. Many people tend to listen to the same stuff over and over again, repeating mistakes cause their resources aren't anywhere near proper English.
Zuletzt geändert von Libelle am 28.06.2015, 01:25, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
»Wo die Sonne der Kultur niedrig steht, werfen selbst Zwerge lange Schatten.«
Karl Kraus (1874 – 1936)
Libelle

Beitragvon SmilingSeth » 21.06.2015, 21:36

Badabumm hat geschrieben:
SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:Did of one you actually realised that most europeans speak american english, or in the worst case austrian-american english, instead of british-english? It's even more funny, if you record the accent of people who love the shit of english lifestyle and then blame them, for having such awful tongue.

If you learn English by watching movies or playing games or listening to songs you haven't a choice. Mostly all blockbusters have US English-speaking. Mostly all games have US English-speaking. A lot of songs are in British-English, so you can learn from it.
It's also a political decision: Germany tends towards US Livestyle and thinking. I'm not sure why - Great Britain is our real neighbour.
There are some other points: because US English is a worldwide spoken mishmash language you heard it everywhere and from everyone. It's the most wrong used language to speak over the world.

Badabumm

I actually have a friend from London(it's called Landon :lol: ) and one from Yorkshire so even Bitish-English is often misused or over pronounced. But in the end, it often summaries to who the fuck actually cares?

And also i know a german who lived about 4 years in London and speak's now like a british banker.
Mostly i would also say, it differs also in the use of words, like "brilliant" is more british that "awesome", to name a example. Or the use of "though".

Also American-English is often misused, it's more like a mixture from different american registers and dialects, so most people, foreign(not native) speakers have their oddities. And when i actually spoke with an friend of Arizona he did sound completely different from i imagined. And i also thought the one from London is from Slovenia, because he didn't actually sound so British.

Also like my american friend told me, it's completely stupid to learn the pronunciation from the TV, and ridiculous stupid to learn it from Taylor Swift or a fucked up english wannabe-indie band, it is far more smarter to live there and to speak with people.
Badabumm hat geschrieben:BTW: I think it depends on our gender sometimes. Women are better in speaking, because they use both brain parts.
That would actually require that they have a brain.
The only thing they can do better, is probably making sandwiches and at pretending.
SmilingSeth
Inaktiv

Beitragvon Feuerfeder » 22.06.2015, 12:44

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:
Badabumm hat geschrieben:BTW: I think it depends on our gender sometimes. Women are better in speaking, because they use both brain parts.

That would actually require that they have a brain.
The only thing they can do better, is probably making sandwiches and at pretending.

I'll just say that I think the differences in talent for learning new languages are far greater between individuals than between men and women.
I never bought into all those other perceived differences between men and women. I never believed to be naturally inferior in math just because I'm female. So I never had any problems with it.
Isn't it tedious to always fall back into that particular topic? For me it is.

If I start to think English, I will be a bad German writer...

I can relate to that. I watch so many english tv series that I sometimes get stuck. It's rather annoying, noticing that you're back to singing in english, even though you just consciously switched to german...

Sincerely,
Feuerfeder

P.S.:
[quote="SmilingSeth]I actually have a friend from London(it's called Landon :lol: )[/quote]
So your friend is a thing, not a human? Then why does it have a name at all?
"Auf den Flügeln seiner Einbildungskraft verlässt der Mensch die engen Schranken der Gegenwart."
Friedrich Schiller
Feuerfeder

Blog: Blog ansehen (37)

Beitragvon DraconRa » 22.06.2015, 15:01

Badabumm hat geschrieben:If I start to think English, I will be a bad German writer....

Oh, that's why I suck so hard!
Ok, no, kidding.
But, what I do experience is: writing in German and getting stuck, not remembering a German word... mostly around 3 or 4 am, a certain sign, that I should go to bed ;-)

I spent most of my time on the internet in English speaking forums or blogs, when I play games, I change the language to English.
I switch between languages, and think in the one, I am currently using.

I found translating a German text into English more difficult than starting with English. Instead of thinking in one language, you have to constantly switch between two. Would probably get better with practice.
DraconRa

Beitragvon Diavolo » 22.06.2015, 16:59

Hallo SmilingSeth

Only to let you know, that "fuck" is not a real good word, which you have learned from your friends. And if you ever will go to Australia in some parts you will get a fine, speaking out loud this word.

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:who the fuck actually cares?

Feuerfeder hat geschrieben: or a fucked up
:(

One's I was sitting in a bar in Singpore. Two elderly man where the only other guests, they came from Australia.The only vocabulary they had, was "fuck" no other word. I was asking the barkeeper, whether I got lost and whether I am in Singapore or in Australia.

But I think you want to learn here in the English Corner something, or not :?:

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:also i know a german

First I and German is written like this.

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:pronunciation

pronounciation

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:That would actually require that they have a brain.

This sound like discrimination. :|
Diavolo

Beitragvon SmilingSeth » 22.06.2015, 22:09

Feuerfeder hat geschrieben:I'll just say that I think the differences in talent for learning new languages are far greater between individuals than between men and women.
I never bought into all those other perceived differences between men and women. I never believed to be naturally inferior in math just because I'm female. So I never had any problems with it.
Isn't it tedious to always fall back into that particular topic? For me it is.
Before you reply to my posting, you should consider that I propably eat blueberries with the left hand, while I post with the right hand. I think you take this to serious. Though I agree with the thing you did write in your first sentence.
Diavolo hat geschrieben:Hallo SmilingSeth
Only to let you know, that "fuck" is not a real good word, which you have learned from your friends. And if you ever will go to Australia in some parts you will get a fine, speaking out loud this word.
Then i'll go to Australia to say "fuck Australia". So i combine the useful with the pleasure.

But actually I wonder, why you did pick me, instead of the others? Am I the obvious victim? Because my cat is black?
And if you are discriminated by my abuse of the English language, then i'll try to stick to your advice.
SmilingSeth
Inaktiv

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Schreibwerkstatt-Café