English Corner

Small Talk, Spaß, Fragen, hier könnt ihr plaudern, quasseln und tratschen über was ihr wollt

Re: English Corner

Beitragvon Feuerfeder » 23.06.2015, 16:22

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:Before you reply to my posting, you should consider that I propably eat blueberries with the left hand, while I post with the right hand. I think you take this to serious.

I didn't think you were serious. I just couldn't not comment on it.
Although I don't get why you don't eat the blueberries first, then type... seems easier to me. But enjoy your berries.

Regards,
Feuerfeder
"Auf den Flügeln seiner Einbildungskraft verlässt der Mensch die engen Schranken der Gegenwart."
Friedrich Schiller
Feuerfeder

Blog: Blog ansehen (37)

Beitragvon Diavolo » 23.06.2015, 17:12

SmilingSeth hat geschrieben:But actually I wonder, why you did pick me, instead of the others? Am I the obvious victim? Because my cat is black?
And if you are discriminated by my abuse of the English language, then i'll try to stick to your advice.

If you are like this, I don't want to help you or want to communicate with you. Have a good time and all the best for you. God will bless you :!:

Diavolo
Wie viele Leute schreiben und schreiben und auf dem Papier steht immer nichts!
(Johann Friedrich Freiherr Cotta von Cottendorf)
Diavolo

Beitragvon Justin » 24.06.2015, 23:42

2 Points for Diavolo!!

The crowd goes wild... Yeah!!

(Though I don't think God's going to be any help at all.)
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Justin

Blog: Blog ansehen (15)

Beitragvon SmilingSeth » 01.07.2015, 00:45

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Coldhands

I still didn't read GoT and I did not plan to read GoT, but the character Coldhands sounds so unbelievable cool, just pure asgardian awesome.
SmilingSeth
Inaktiv

Beitragvon SmilingSeth » 14.07.2015, 22:32

About the German efficiency, I heard it was a real thing, until their baby boomers grew up in the 60's, then it all went to shit and they had start importing Turks, to cover for their spoiled youth.
It is the stuff of legends
I haven't seen it
it's like a unicorn
It lurks in the shadow, like a rapist unicorn.

Bild
SmilingSeth
Inaktiv

Beitragvon SmilingSeth » 17.07.2015, 07:58

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... ?CMP=fb_gu

Do really have to do the wet work? I just leave this here.
SmilingSeth
Inaktiv

Beitragvon Justin » 23.08.2015, 01:45

I have been reading a bookseries in German and recently found one of the books out of the series in original English. Although I had found the German books very good, I was very disappointed with the English Version.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Justin

Beitragvon DraconRa » 23.08.2015, 02:14

Justin hat geschrieben:I have been reading a bookseries in German and recently found one of the books out of the series in original English. Although I had found the German books very good, I was very disappointed with the English Version.

Has anyone else had this experience?

I am less critical, when reading in English. I am much more likely to stop reading a German book, than an English book.
I thought about it, you're just more likely to overlook mistakes, or little quirks in a foreign languages, after all, it could just be you, misreading something.
DraconRa

Beitragvon Feuerfeder » 23.08.2015, 17:12

Most of the time, I read either the german version or the english original.
I think the Harry Potter series was the only one I read first in english, then in german. And neither dissapointed me. But that's been a while, so I don't remember much about reading them.
Not quite what you asked, but I have quite a few of Terry Pratchett's books, solely the last one in english, and it wasn't much of a difference. So I guess they did a good job translating those.
I do prefer to read books in the original language, simple because I think there will always be something lost in the translation. Or the translators will translate names terribly...
But most of the time I enjoy the story in german just as well.
"Auf den Flügeln seiner Einbildungskraft verlässt der Mensch die engen Schranken der Gegenwart."
Friedrich Schiller
Feuerfeder

Blog: Blog ansehen (37)

Beitragvon Minna » 27.08.2015, 23:12

This just made my day, so I thought I would leave it here for you, if you need a laugh.
It's a fanfiction about Edward from Twilight meeting another Edward. My favourite sentence:

"And you're just a fake, pathetic excuse of a vampire - no, strike that. You're a carnivorous disco ball."

(carnivorous means: meat eating)

http://dearheart42.deviantart.com/art/E ... -120241714

I think the newer Terry Pratchett books had another translator and she is horrible. So I read the new books in english. Couldn't say I am disappointed, but who could be disappointed in a Pratchett book, anyway.

Regards
Minna
Minna
NaNoWriMo 2015
NaNoWriMo 2015

Beitragvon Justin » 05.09.2015, 01:25

I really tried, but I just don't really like Terry Pratchett. Somehow the depth seems to be missing in his books - or at least in the ones I've read.
Justin

Beitragvon DraconRa » 21.10.2015, 15:00

For fun and giggles, I wrote a story in English. First round of edits was dedicated to correcting:
"He/She walked threw the door." :doh:
*sigh* English is complicated :roll:
DraconRa

Beitragvon SmilingSeth » 24.10.2015, 16:50

Sorry guys I’m just too stupid to understand Sartre’s mega dosed amphetamine, nicotine and alcohol induced mental gymnastics in Being and Nothingness. Attempting to read Sartre’s Being and Nothingness was about as exciting, fun and useful for me as trying to max out on a deadlift with twice my current max. Try that yourself, tell me how you feel. You know it’s absurd, why would you ever try it? You wouldn’t! But do it, try it anyway, and when you do you will understand how absurd I felt as I continued turning pages in Sartre’s Being and Nothingness just to be able to brag to people that I read it. I wasn’t ready for it, and never will be ready. And I do not give a fuck, and you know why? Because Sartre didn’t give a fuck himself! He didn’t give a fuck whether people understood him or not. Maybe if Sartre gave a fuck about that, his philosophy would spell itself out?
SmilingSeth
Inaktiv

Vorherige

Zurück zu Schreibwerkstatt-Café